What's New?

I will no longer be posting for The Lackadaisical Firefly, but please don't hesitate to follow me at my new Facebook page, Louise Williams, for updates, philosophical insights on everyday life, poems, and more!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thirty-Seven Minutes to Close

Watching the legislature run wild,
each side scurrying to silence
 - with violent agility of tongue -
the other,
I wait and wonder

what will become of that unborn child
who sits unwanted
or dying
or threatening death to its host?

I wonder what will become of that woman
a victim of rape
a victim, who must carry the living memory
of her pain

And I - feeling monthly reminders
of my femininity

wonder what will become of my right
my freedom
to be the sovereign of my own body.

Here, where we question
the value of life not begun
we forget those historical chains
which patriarchy had thrown around
the uterus,
                had extracted from it
                dowries and heirs,
                had turned the living woman
                into a decorative safe
the uterus,
                a commodified asset.

we forget that
that which carries life,
lives -

what will become of my baby?
what will become of me?
what will become of me...

*****************************************

Here is the livestream for the filibuster going on in the Texas State Senate, to oppose a sweeping anti-abortion bill.  Watch here! ----> http://rhrealitycheck.org/video/2013/06/25/live-video-texas-state-sen-wendy-davis-filibusters-anti-abortion-bill/?upworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment