What's New?

I will no longer be posting for The Lackadaisical Firefly, but please don't hesitate to follow me at my new Facebook page, Louise Williams, for updates, philosophical insights on everyday life, poems, and more!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Premium Wash, Rinse, and Drive

I hadn't gone to one of these since I was young.
I knew what to expect.
I suppose I didn't.

My car rolled slowly into the automated wash,
and I parked it, ready for my five minute-
Super Saiyan snooze.

The water was calming, and drizzled down the side,
and I watched it, suddenly fascinated by
the light it reflected.

It reminded me of...
something.
I closed my eyes.

A sudden roaring sound,
and I was alert, hands at the wheel
10'o clock and 2'o clock respectively, at the ready.

It was the spinning washers,
blue and snakeline, circling above my windshield
seemingly consuming the window on the driver's side.

It was a storm, it seemed,
that swallowed whole my view of the world,
that drowned it in grey soap and multi-colored car wax.

Was it adrenaline?
Or some unknown glamour that had gripped me?
I don't know, but it was exhilarating, and somehow even

Here, in this man-made cave,
I found my inner child, filled with wonder at the sudden
change in her world.  Suffocating claustrophobia, uncertain

where the world had gone.

Then the rain - the water came and washed away the worry.
Then the wind came and cleared my sight.
And somehow, we came out alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment